What is Apple CarPlay?
What is Apple CarPlay?
Posted on October 10, 2023
When buying a new or used vehicle, you should focus on more than just the engine and seating capacity. An infotainment system demands some room and is crucial for every driver. Instead of just a handful of radio stations in the vehicle, the vehicle’s infotainment system gives access to numerous features, including iPhone connections.
Apple CarPlay is software that links your Apple phone to your vehicle to optimize usage and safety. It can perform several functions by connecting with apps on your iPhone. All available features are displayed with large icons for easy access and control. The bulk of features can be accessed using voice recognition via Siri, but some vehicles have touch screens or buttons embedded in the dashboard, as well.
Features and Functionalities
Your vehicle’s infotainment system can perform different tasks directly on the screen. You can customize its appearance or add different profiles to suit personal preferences. Some of the key features include:
- Navigation - Using a third-party navigation app or Apple Maps is effortless with Apple CarPlay. The software can predict destinations based on emails, contacts, text messages, and calendars. With the latest Apple Maps, you will get updated information and turn-by-turn instructions for more straightforward navigation.
- Call and Text - Apple CarPlay offers different options to communicate with friends and family while on the road. With Siri enabled, you can respond to texts or calls hands-free. All you have to do is activate it, and it will read out all notifications.
- Music on the Go - If you have other audio apps or Apple Music, the infotainment system can link it directly to the vehicle. Simply activate Siri and choose your favourite song to enjoy on the go. You can also play podcasts and other audio through the connection with your iPhone.
- Calendar Access - Another connection available is with your calendar. This ensures you will stay current and not miss any appointments or meetings. Just pull out your calendar on the infotainment system and click the event to get directions or other details.
How to Connect your iPhone with Apple CarPlay
Thanks to the available USB port in your vehicle, you can connect your phone to Apple CarPlay using a lightning cable. A window will pop up on your screen with a prompt, and all compatible apps will sync with the car. Some vehicles can also support wireless CarPlay. Usually, your phone will prompt you to set up the connection only once. After that, the devices will automatically link.
Which Vehicles are Compatible with Apple CarPlay?
A good variety of vehicles in our catalogue are compatible with Apple CarPlay. The list features full-size vehicles, midsize crossovers and small sedans. Here are some of the cars we have in stock that are compatible with Apple CarPlay:
- 2020 Ford Fusion Hybrid SEL | Hybrid
- 2019 Ram 1500 Classic Tradesman
- 2015 GMC SIERRA 2500HD
- 2018 Ford EcoSport
- 2017 Kia Sportage
- 2020 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Book a Test Drive Today!
Apple CarPlay-compatible vehicles offer several benefits that enhance your driving experience, including reduced interactions and seamless integration. Contact us today at Lethbridge Truck Town to book your test drive and discover available financing options.